Friday 31 July 2015

Review of I Don't Want to Talk About It by Jane Lovering - Five *


Blurb:

What if the one person you wanted to talk to wouldn't listen? 

Winter Gregory and her twin sister Daisy live oceans apart but they still have the ‘twin thing’ going on. Daisy is Winter’s port in the storm, the first person she calls when things go wrong … 

And things are wrong. Winter has travelled to a remote Yorkshire village to write her new book, and to escape her ex-boyfriend Dan Bekener. Dan never liked her reliance on Daisy and made her choose – but Winter’s twin will always be her first choice. 

She soon finds herself immersed in village life after meeting the troubled Hill family; horse-loving eight-year-old Scarlet and damaged, yet temptingly gorgeous, Alex. The distraction is welcome and, when Winter needs to talk, Daisy is always there. 

But Dan can’t stay away and remains intent on driving the sisters apart – because Dan knows something about Daisy… 






Review:

I have read every Jane Lovering book and even interviewed her for my blog. Her books are consistently good, light hearted and very, very funny. So I started I Don't Want to Talk About It as soon as I got it, anticipating the same fun read.

It is a funny book at times, but it is so much more than that. It is darker than Jane's previous books and when I finished it, I felt as if I had been through all Winter's emotions with her. It is so sympathetically and empathetically written, that I was there in Yorkshire with her and Alex and Dan.

I did guess about Daisy, but that in no way detracted from my enjoyment. It actually enhanced it as I watched Winter start to crumble. My heart was in my mouth when she started running from the school to the field.

The ending was great - a lot of thought went into the entire book - thank you Jane.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment