Thursday 14 May 2015

Review of How I Wonder What You Are by Jane Lovering - Five **

Review of How I Wonder What You Are by Jane Lovering - Five **


Blurb: 

“Maybe he wasn't here because of the lights – maybe they were here because of him …” 

It’s been over eighteen months since Molly Gilchrist has had a man (as her best friend, Caro, is so fond of reminding her) so when she as good as stumbles upon one, lying comatose, on the moors one bitterly cold morning, it seems like the Universe is having a laugh at her expense. 
But Phinn Baxter (that’s Doctor Phinneas Baxter) is no drunken layabout, as Molly is soon to discover; with a PhD in astrophysics and a tortured past that is a match for Molly’s own disastrous love life. 


Finding mysterious men on the moors isn't the weirdest thing Molly has to contend with, however. There’s also those strange lights she keeps seeing in the sky. The ones she’s only started seeing since meeting Phinn …






Review:

I've read all Jane's books and this one was equal to, if not better than them all. I love the touch of magic/supernatural in them and the humour. The humour is fantastic. I laugh out loud and in a couple of places ended up crying with laughter. 

Molly and Phinn are fabulous characters and their conversations are a scream. They are also very damaged people and this side of their relationship is dealt with very sensitively. I confess I had to read the speech from Link twice to see what Phinn heard but then it all made sense. And Molly's hatred of her mother wasn't explained until halfway through the book, which kept me on my toes!  I also liked the fact that the lights remain a mystery.

I recommend this book wholeheartedly :)






No comments:

Post a Comment