Tuesday 9 February 2016

Review of The Little Shop of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan - Five *


Blurb:

Given a back-room computer job when the beloved Birmingham library she works in turns into a downsized retail complex, Nina misses her old role terribly - dealing with people, greeting her regulars, making sure everyone gets the right books for their needs. Then a new business nobody else wants catches her eye: owning a tiny little bookshop bus up in the Scottish highlands. No computers. Shortages. Out all hours in the freezing cold; driving with a tiny stock of books... not to mention how the little community is going to take to her, particularly when she stalls the bus on a level crossing...






Review:

Oh how I loved this book! Stayed awake until 2am to finish it and even then I couldn't sleep for the characters zooming around in my head.

It has everything I love - beautiful scenery, believable characters, a great plot and books!

Nina was wonderful as the main character - delicate but with a rod of iron going through her. Marek was intriguing, Surinder was so down to earth in contrast to Nina's flights of fancy and then there was Lennox. He is probably one of my favourite characters of all time! A true dour Scotsman. His comments about reading had me crying with laughter, "I never understand," he said, shaking his head, "why anyone would go to the trouble of making up new people in this world when there's already billions of the buggers I don't give a shit about."

Absolute class!

All I want to do now is flee to the Highlands and meet my own Lennox.....sadly unlikely to happen! Thank you, Jenny, from the bottom of my heart, for such a wonderful book!



No comments:

Post a Comment